Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Burnstown Gravel Ride

This was an inspiring ride.  I wish I had bothered to take more pictures but when I get in the moment I don't want to interrupt things.

This was my route.  Google says 61.9km and 3 hours 39 minutes.  But after a few wrong turns I ended up with a cool 80.5km ride in 3 hours 31 minutes.




It's backwoods all the way.  Beautiful riding & just what I was looking for.  There are no sustained gravel stretches like this where I live (the Burnstown route is a 5 hour drive north). Below is my folks cottage - ready for liftoff.


These are the kinds of roads I have been looking for.  This is an example of one in good condition.  Most were impassible for cars because of the large ruts but were perfect for my purposes.  In fact, I believe I counted 6 cars on this route, and that's not a whole lot.



I got a lot of looks.  Helmets are an unusual sight around these parts - never mind spandex.
Let's just say "this was good training for the Hilly Billy" and leave it there.


Accidental close-up or giant mosquito?  Don't stop for long or you may end up with West-Nile Virus.

Burnstown may be nothing more than a whistle-stop but Neat is a great place for a reward.

I could say so much more but lets keep this simple.  Here's my summary:

  • A route so fun that I am considering turning it into a race/tour.
  • I will learn to take more photos.
  • Seeing as this was half the distance of the Hilly Billy, I must learn about proper nutrition quickly. Otherwise I won't survive the Hilly Billy.
  • Most dogs that chase you are just out for a good time. Some aren't though.
  • Just because you're the only person on miles of road doesn't mean the locals will give you a wide berth as they pass.
  • My wife is awesome.
  • Good geometry is worth the time to figure out and a good saddle is worth the money.
  • I'll be doing that again.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice ride. Neat looks like a neat place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a great route. More photos please!

    ReplyDelete